- 1/2 pound button or cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 pound frozen spinach, thawed, drained and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 2 cups pasteurized egg whites or 16 egg whites
Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Lightly oil a 12-cup muffin pan.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook mushrooms, stirring, until they begin to release their liquid, about 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes more. Add spinach and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are soft and most liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly, then divide mixture among the prepared muffin cups.
In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pour evenly over vegetable mixture in the muffin cups. Bake until egg mixture is puffed and cooked through, about 16 minutes. Cool 2 minutes, then run a knife around inside of muffin cups and remove omelet bites. Serve warm or at room temperature. Alternatively, refrigerate omelet bites in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Cover the bites with a paper towel and reheat in the microwave.